I would like to invite you to join the Delaware Valley Trike Riders on a Memorial Day round-trip ride from Morrisville to Washington Crossing Park’s Cemetery for Soldiers of the Revolution (Monday, May 25, 2015, 9:30 AM start).
Tucked away along the banks of the Delaware River is a very small, but special cemetery where an unknown number of Continental soldiers are buried. These men, all of them unknown except for one, didn’t die in battle, but their contributions and sacrifices while encamped a few miles north of Trenton, enabled the Continental Army to wage a uniquely decisive attack on British and Hessian troops marking the turning point of the American Revolution.
Cemetery for Fallen Soldiers at Washington Crossing Park
The conditions these soldiers faced, including the deprivation of food, equipment and clothing necessary to survive an extremely harsh winter, hastened their deaths from exposure, disease and injuries incurred during previous battles. Most of these men hadn’t been paid in months (increasing hardships for their families at home) yet still they reenlisted for this winter campaign because they understood that the value of life and liberty could only be realized if they could drive the rule of an oppressive and invasive government from their lands.
Please register, with your phone number, for this ride no later than 8:00 PM Sat., May 23, via Text Msg, Phone, email or reply to this post. Ride will be canceled, by phone and/or text, Sunday morning if rain is heavy or sustained.
All cyclists welcome!
• 9:30 AM Depart from Williamson Park, Morrisville PA, 19067 (at the flagpole in parking lot, geo coord: 40.213184, -74.775204).
• Ride North along D&L Canal Trail in Pennsylvania to the cemetery.
• Dismount for a silent moment of remembrance and appreciation.
• Return ride South along the D&L to Yardley, PA for a Bagel Brunch at the Bagel Train (honestly, you haven’t had a bagel until you’ve had a Bagel Train bagel!).
• Return ride South along D&L to Williamson Park in Morrisville, PA.
• 24-mile round trip, leisurely 10-mph pace with occasional sprints, mostly flat. None will be left behind.
I look forward to riding with you!